Monday, February 06, 2006

AS-90 - Panzer Korps vs Metal Troops

I bought the Panzer Korps AS-90 lately at a discounted price so it was a very good deal to me. Since Dragon has not released it in Cando so that's the only option you have to get an AS-90. Of course, if you have a bigger budget, you can always go for the resin one from Metal Troops but it's about 10 times more expensive.

To be honest, I think the one from Metal Troops looks better. Its scuplting is clean with a lot of details. You can also get a lot of accessories as well. As shown in the picture to the right, I think overall this is a very nice kit even from Metal Troops standards.


On the other hand, the Panzer Korps is not bad at all. The sculpting may be is not as good as Metal Troops but the quality is good. I think this is a newer kit from Dragon as the tracks can be removed (which was a new design after Popy had released the Projekt Panzer this way, all tanks sculpted ealier are molded wheels and tracks together).

If you are a wargamer, for sure you should go for the Panzer Korps. The price of 1 Metal Troops tank is around US$25 which is about 10 times the price of the Pazer Korps. If I give a full mark 5 stars to Metal Troops, I think the Panzer Korps can get a 4.5 stars. Click here to access my web for more pictures.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where can I get 6 of these!!!

I use the 1/144 for wargaming, and would love to add a battery to my British troops. However my searching on the I-Net has been frusterating.

Thanks --Kenny

wtmblogger said...

I bought 12 from www.greatmodels.com last year when they were on sale. Most sites only sell them in a set of 4 different boxes (8 tanks) and it was good as greatmodels sold them separately ( I don't need another 12 M1 or 12 M2 as I have too many already). I don't know if they still have it in stock or not. Check it out ASAP. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Last year?!?! aaaarrrggghhh... Didn't even know they were out. I'll give GM a call, but I'm not too encouraged.. They are not listed on the site. (bummer)

Thanks for the info.

Kenny

Anonymous said...

Called GM... They asked for an item number to see if they had any in stock. WTMblogger ,what is you name please?

Thanks --Kenny

wtmblogger said...

Hi Kenny
My name is Linus. Thanks for visiting my blog and I tried to search a couple sites I normally buy stuffs from for this AS90 and they're all gone. Hobbylink in Japan still have the whole set but I don't think it worths to pay the whole set just for one AS90. Sorry. Hopefully someone else read this blog can help you.
Rgds Linus

Anonymous said...

Thanks Linus, I appreciate the BLOG. On my list of sites to visit everyday!! (grin)

Kenny